12 March 2007

Central Park

Pattern: "Central Park" from Fall 2006 Knitscene. (KAL!)

Yarn: Queensland Collection Kathmandu Aran in color 141, "Blossom," 85% merino wool, 10% silk, 5% cashmere. 11 balls total. A birthday gift from my mom (thanks Mom!). It's a great yarn, if a bit on the pricey side. Very natural look to it, lightweight yet warm, and it shows off the cables superbly, plus it's nice and soft especially after blocking with a 1/2 cup of white vinegar.


Time Spent: Approximately 2 weeks, though I had an unusually high amount of knitting time within those 2 weeks. I was knitting like a fiend! It's taken me as long to get these finished pictures taken as it took me to knit the thing.


Notes: I made the 36" size and am very pleased with the finished fit. Pre-blocking, the sleeves seemed a bit tight, but this yarn definitely loosened up and stretched out in the blocking process. There are a couple of errors in the pattern, but Knitscene has given corrections and they are posted on the KAL's website: on the Left Front, Row 2 of ribbing should read "K2, P2" rather than vice versa; the Right Front, Row 2 of ribbing should read "P2, K2" rather than vice versa; under Finishing, Hood, Dec row should read "...k2tog, k1, sl m, k1, ssk..." instead of sl 1. These little errors were pretty obvious though, I thought. Modifications, well, I didn't have any, though I did opt to put buttons on it (given in the pattern as optional).

I think it turned out beautifully, and it might be my favorite thing I've knit. It could easily be mistaken for storebought, which I consider an achievement in my knitting.


9 comments:

Pam said...

Beautiful sweater! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I think that's one of the first pink CPHs I've seen. It's beautiful on you! Great job.

Anonymous said...

My gosh, this is absolutely amazing! The CPH is high up on my "Have to do" list, and seeing yours certainly inspired me to cast on for it really soon!
I'm absolutely impressed on how quickly you've knit this up, and it looks so beautiful on you! Congratulations on an awesome accomplishment!

Bethany said...

Gorgeous! And things that can be mistaken for storebought are always wonderful.

By the way, I'm in Texas; I got here Sunday night. Check my blog for details about my trip.

rachel iufer said...

i absolutely love the color of the yarn you chose! it's completely perfect for this sweater. it has such a cute fit on you too! fabulous job!

All of my Projects said...

I've been wanting to make the CPH. I've used the Kathmandu in the Pimlico Shrug from Knit 2 Together. I LOVE this yarn. I think it's my favorite so far. After seeing you CPH in this color, I'm pretty sure I'm making a duplicate!

Great job!

Connie said...

Hi Cara,
Beautiful CPH. I'm late to the party, but have been eyeing the Kathmandu Aran for the CPH. It's so soft and luscious, but I've heard that it grows *a lot* with blocking. A little growth is fine by me since I want this to be a comfy sweater, but I'm afraid of having it grow too much. How has your experience been with this over time? Thanks in advance for any insight! :)
-Connie

Anonymous said...

Hi, your CPH is lovely, I'm also making mine in Kathmandu Aran in 151, a boring beige color, but i like it... haven't gotten far at all, but yours is inspiring. -M.

Anonymous said...

Love it! I'm sooo jealous!