04 October 2006

Kimono Sweater, Post #2

The sweater is definitely fixed now. That row of misturned cables is back on track.

Unfortunately I didn't get much knitting time in yesterday: very shortly after getting home from work, DH dragged me out of the house so he could go get his brand new tires put on his Mini. (By the way, it's wonderful when you know people who can help you out, because those tires were put on for free, thank you very much Nadon!) Then to dinner, and yoga afterward; and with the major disaster of Lisa, my yoga buddy, forgetting her rings at the gym and our having to turn around from 2-miles-from-home and go back for them, I didn't get home until 10:30 p.m. Now, in my younger, college-era days - of, you know, 2 whole years ago - 10:30 was still practically mid-day. But now that I'm married to a military man, that's nearly two hours past bedtime.

By the way, Brendon, when you're on the ship overnight, and especially when you are at sea for a while, I do revert to my old ways and stay up often well into the a.m. hours. And often it's because I HAVE to get past just one, or five, or twenty more rows.

So anyway, I have redone the erroneous row, but I have not yet had the chance to make up the other several rows I ripped in order to get there. I have, however, confirmed that the pattern is written incorrectly exactly where I thought it was, by drawing it out in multiple colored highlighters on graph paper at work this morning. Have I mentioned yet that I'm a complete nerd? Ok, so what, I was bored, and I happened to have stuck the pattern into my purse as I headed out this morning so I could ponder over it if I got the chance. I feel completely validated after doing this. Instead of repeating rows 1-6, I'm repeating rows 7-12, except on row 21/9 I'm doing c4f's instead of c4b's. Hope that helps anybody who might be making the sweater.

Still, I should have been able to catch that little switcheroo in the cable directions just by looking at the picture. That's what I get for trying to knit while watching Kill Bill Vol. 1, even if it was for the umpteenth time. I ought to know better than to KWD (knit while distracted), at least with complicated cables at hand. Usually I prefer to do my more intricate projects with something I can easily tune out, like TLC or Discovery Channel, on tv. I do enjoy the background noise. Not so much the split focus.

On a slightly different note, I Googled "Kimono Styled Sweater" and turned up a lot of results, but most of the hits were people who liked the pattern, coveted it or had it in their upcoming project list. I was only able to come across one instance where somebody had actually completed it, which can be found here. Tanya, it looks beautiful. I agree with one of the comments you got, it is much nicer than the picture of the model that comes with the pattern. Tanya's full blog is found here. In addition to proving how lovely the sweater is when finished, she also verified the problem I was having with the pattern. It's nice to know I'm not a loony-tune.

1 comment:

Dove Knits said...

Yay! I'm glad you like the sweater and are also knitting it. I can't wait to see the finished result.

It's a pretty straightforward pattern...except for that whole mistake thing.